What are the causes of bad breath?
Bad breath causes include:
Consuming food with odour
Eating strongly flavoured foods, such as garlic, onions and spices, is likely to make your breath smell. Strong-smelling drinks, such as coffee and alcohol, can also cause bad breath.
Bad breath caused by food and drink is usually temporary. It can be avoided by not eating or drinking these types of food and drink.
Smoking makes your breath smell, it also stains your teeth, irritates your gums, and reduces your sense of taste.
The other tobacco products like pan masala, betel nut – they stain the mucosa, decreases the oral hygiene.
Poor dental hygiene
The most common cause of bad breath is poor oral hygiene. Bacteria build up on your teeth and in between them can result in the release of unpleasant gases. They in turn cause gum infections and tooth decay.
Presence of any food trapped between your teeth will be broken down by the bacteria.
- In rare cases, bad breath can be caused by certain medical conditions.
- In some cases, gastrointestinal conditions can also cause bad breath.
- If a gastrointestinal condition is thought to be causing your bad breath, you may need to have an endoscopy..
- Other medical conditions that can cause bad breath include diabetes and lung, throat, or nose infections like bronchiectasis, bronchitis, tonsillitis, sinusitis, liver diseases, kidney diseases.
In dry mouth (xerostomia), the flow and composition of saliva may be affected. The number of bacteria increase in the oral cavity increasing the bad breath.
The area between the gum and tooth has space. This space has deposits, if they aren’t cleaned. The infection of gums remain and bad breath occurs.
Swellings at the apex of teeth, pus drainage from infected teeth can result in bad breathe.
1. Consuming medications
2. Nitrates – these are sometimes used to treat heart problems, chest pain
3. Some chemotherapy medications
4. Tranquillisers (phenothiazines)
5. Even in patients taking radiotherapy
6. Poor immunity
7. Patients with cancer
8. Some people are convinced by their own bad breathe even when they don’t have.
9. It is called halitophobia, it is a psychological disorder and the psychiatrist should provide the treatment.
10. Inflamed tonsils can be another reason for bad breath
11. The presence of fungal infections in oral cavity called as candidiasis can result in poor oral hygiene and bad breathe.
How does it affect you?
The fresh feeling in the oral cavity is lost. There is a pungent unhygienic experience. The increase in amount of food debris causes infection and swelling of gums in turn causing bleeding on brushing. There is a loss of taste acuity. When there are oral sources of infections – it can be accompanied by fever , fatigue.
Constant bad breath also indicates an check on medical history. There is bad breathe in diabetic patients, kidney disorders, liver diseases, cancer patients, patients with fungal infections, gastric problems. Overall effect comes on the confidence of the person. The ability to speak in a group decreases.
How does your dentist diagnose?
Bad breath can be detected as soon as your dentist checks your oral cavity. The amount of debris, deposits on the teeth are assessed. The gum health is checked. The presence of any oral source of infections are ruled out. X-rays are taken to rule out sources of infection. They are explained to you and the treatment plan is laid down.
Saliva maintains the oral cavity. In patients with reduced salivation. There is development of bad breath. So sometimes it can be age related also.
What are the options for bad breath treatment in hyderabad
Maintenance of oral hygiene is important to treat it.
1. Brushing and flossing: it is to remove the food debris and deposits.Bacteria can also live on the rough surface of your tongue. As well as brushing your teeth, cleaning your tongue can also help control bad breath.
2. The gum infections are treated with scaling, curettage.
3. If in Presence of adverse habits, they should be stopped.
4. The underlying medical conditions if any should be treated.
5. If the patient is taking medications and they are causing bad breath – they have to be modified or alternative should be given by the general physician.
6. In case of doubt from the type of odour, the medical conditions can be ruled out with the help of general physician.
7. In case of bad breath due to decreases salivation – you must sip water constantly throughout the day and avoid eating sticky foods.
How to prevent it?
Brushing and flossing is the key to prevent bad breathe. You should have regular dental check-ups to ensure any oral hygiene problems.problems. You can visit your dentist for bad breath treatment in Hyderabad and hence keep a check on it.