Each and every person have various features which define them. Some might have blue eyes whereas some might have a different hair colour. Similarly, the teeth of a person also adds to the number of features which makes them different from one another.
Teeth are important (for obvious reasons). They help in the first step of digestion. Chewing.
All teeth will eventually fall off but what if due to external reasons, they fall off way before than they are supposed to? Maybe due to some accident or because you haven’t taken care of them properly.
It gets difficult to roam around with a missing tooth, specially if its a incisor(front teeth). People might make fun of you or refrain from talking to you. This is where dentures or dental implants come in.
But in many or most cases, the implant should be connected to the replacement tooth right? So how is it connected?
The best way to support the teeth are to provide for an abutment. In recent dental procedures, where implants are used, a dentist uses abutments as a connecting tool for the implant and replacement teeth. An abutment is cylindrical structure made of titanium fixed into the dental implant or the crown which is placed and then connected to the tooth. But now, there is a swift process, which is followed and that is fix all the parts in the place of a dental implant, in one process.
The process is as follows:
- To fix the dental implant
- To fix a crown on the dental implant
- To fix the abutment into the dental implants
All this can be done is one visit without the patient having to visit the dentist for the second time. All these processes are done so that the dental implants are stronger in nature.
The various types of abutments that are used for dental implants are as follows:
- The typical gravity abutment: This is one of the most common types of abutments that are used on the dental implants. It includes the footing, the bridge seat, footing and the various types of retaining walls for the embankments.
- U-Abutment: These are those types of abutments, which are very different from the common and the usual types of abutments. These types of abutments are usually placed internally at a perpendicular angle, which usually extends towards the embankment. But, away from the bridge.
- Pile Bent Abutments : These type of abutments help in supporting the beams. This also helps in replacing the wall like supports, which are a part of the dental implants, with a number of piles.
- The Spill Through Abutment: These type of abutments are used throughout the lifespan of the bridge. Since, these type of abutments do not include any type of wingwalls and backwalls, the deck usually rests on a series of beam, which are supported by the columns and the shortwalls.
These are the various types of abutments, which are used to support the dental implants. But, it is essential to remember that all types of abutments are to be fixed by the same dentist who fixes the implants and the crowns. More importantly, you must research and visit the right dentist or a surgeon, who is skillful and experienced(like us at GA Dental). Sometimes, getting the treatment done by the wrong doctor may lead in facial paralysis and can even permanently cause damage to the gums and the other teeth, which are proper. At GA Dental, the best type of abutments are provided along with dedicated dental care. Book your appointment at the earliest, so that the you do not lose out.
About Dr. Gowtham Kattamuri:
Dr. Gowtham has done his BDS from Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences in 2006 and MDS – Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics from Dr. MGR Medical University in 2010. He is a skilled Endodontist with an experience of over 10 years. Dr. Gowtham is specialized in replacement of teeth, Root Canal, Braces, Dental Implants, prosthetics for maxillofacial defects such as artificial eye, ear, nose and orbital defects, Smile Makeovers with laminates, Zirconia, veneers metal free ceramics. He also performs general dental procedures such as restorations and extractions. He also is trained as an International Patient Coordinator.
About the Clinic:
GA Dental Clinics is a standout amongst the all the famous dental hospitals in Hyderabad, owing to the world class infrastructure it has, and the utility of leading edge technology at the clinic. Besides its unique infrastructure and highly qualified specialists, GA Dental clinic in Hyderabad believes in delivering services at par with global standards.