‘Dental implant’. The words weigh enough to scare people. We come across so many people who run in the opposite direction when they encounter dental issues. They’d rather live with it than to get on the chair at the dental clinic and get it fixed. Anxiety and phobia does more harm than we think it does. But we are fortunate to be living in a time where there is a solution to almost everything that bothers us! One such solution for the fear of dentists is Sedation dentistry.
Read on to know more about how you can make the procedure of getting ‘Dental Implants’ a less anxiety inducing one.
What is a dental Implant?
A dental implant is a titanium screw that works as tooth root which is surgically positioned into the jawbone beneath the gum line allowing your dentist to mount a replacement tooth or a bridge into that area.
Dental implants are used to rehabilitate the loss of teeth, it is being used more and more and has no chance to come loose like a denture can. They provide a stable support for artificial teeth as they are fused in the jawbone. Dentures and bridges that are mounted to implants have no chance of slipping or shifting in the mouth — which could otherwise happen accidentally, while eating or speaking. An advantage of implants is that no adjacent teeth need to be prepared to hold your new replacement tooth/teeth in place.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is the making use of sedative medication that makes the you relax and calm down during dental procedures to make the procedure as pain free as possible. It is considered to be a safe procedure.
Why choose Sedation Dentistry for implants?
We always try to find the easy way out and do things as comfortably as possible. Nobody enjoys pain, nobody wants suffer, which is also why this method of dentistry was introduced- because nobody needs to suffer due to the pain. Placing dental implants is considered to be one of the major surgical procedures in dentistry that gives people cold feet, sedation dentistry can work to make people, who suffer from severe anxiety and phobia, approach such dental treatment with less anxiety and more confidence, and also bring the treatment as close as it can get to being pain free.
Now that we’ve given you a solution let’s look at the options of sedation for Dental Implants listed below,
- Relative analgesia: You will be made to inhale a mixture of oxygen and nitrous oxide (laughing gas) through a mask placed over the nose.
- Oral sedation: You will be prescribed a medicine that is needed to be taken orally which will effectively lessen anxiety. This kind of sedation is for the simpler surgical treatments of shorter duration.
- Conscious sedation / IV sedation: A controlled quantity of sedative is delivered intravenously in your arm for as long as the treatment goes on for. Your heart rate and oxygen levels are monitored throughout by an anaesthetist. A normal dental local anaesthesia is also given around the dental implant sites. You will remain alert throughout the procedure, conscious enough to follow instructions given to you by the dentist but will not remember the treatment. This is a more controlled way of maintaining relaxation for patients with severe dental phobia, high degree of anxiety, or those who are about to undergo a long and complex surgical treatment. Conscious sedation is different from being given a general anaesthesia.
For a few days after the surgery you might experience some discomfort. After all, this is a major dental procedure. However, any pain should be manageable with medications and proper oral care.
Do’s and Don’ts:
- You will have to eat 5-6 hours before the procedure begins and then take in no solid food till your procedure finishes. You can drink clear liquids (water, juice, pedialyte, Gatorade, soda) up to 2 hours before your treatment begins.
- Unless specifically advised, you can take all medications that are prescribed. Just make sure you inform your doctor about your medications during consultation.
- You should not consume alcohol 8 hours before and after the procedure. If you smoke, discontinue smoking at least 2 days before the day of your treatment.
GA Dental Clinic is one of the best implant centres which can be relied on, for Lifetime Warranty on all dental implants. The longevity of dental implants is truly multi-faceted and depends on the quality of the surgery and restorative treatment, the quality of the patient’s bone, the quality of the materials used, the patient’s health, individual healing physiology, oral hygiene, and regular professional care.
About The Clinic:
GA Dental Clinics is a standout amongst the all the famous dental hospitals in Hyderabad, owing to the world-class infrastructure it has, and the utility of leading-edge technology at the clinic. Besides its unique infrastructure and highly qualified specialists, GA Dental clinic in Hyderabad believes in delivering services at par with global standards.