Missing tooth or teeth? Dental implants are the closest way you can get your beautiful smile back. So, you can live the way you want to – smiling, talking, laughing and enjoying all the activities without worrying about the teeth.
Dental implants are much effective and long terms solution for damaged teeth, missing teeth, and other chronic dental problems.
What Are Dental Implants?
They are artificial tooth roots that are surgically placed into the jaw as a replacement of missed or damaged teeth. They can be used to replace either a single tooth or complete teeth set.
These implants consist of two parts – the first part is the base or root which looks like a screw or cylinder, while the second part is called a crown which looks exactly like a tooth. The root or base is made of a metal Titanium which is anchored to the jaw bone as it is one of the most biocompatible material and the crown is made of ceramic.
Advantages of using dental implants…
- Usually, after losing a tooth, the jawbone in that area shrinks which makes you look much older. But dental implants will stop this process.
- Implants prevent gum recession and bone loss.
- Bridges and dentures placed on the implants will neither shift nor slip while speaking or eating.
- Crowns placed over dental implants feel and look more natural than conventional dentures or bridges.
- Usually, ordinary bridges have to be attached to teeth on either side of the space left out by a missing tooth. But for dental implant doesn’t require support from the surrounding teeth. The tooth will be independent.
- Compared to other solutions, dental implants look and feel much natural. So, it will improve your speech and doesn’t affect your self-esteem.
- Chewing is a bit difficult with regular dentures. And moreover, they also affect the sense of taste. But with dental implants, you can chew better just like natural teeth.
Types of Dental Implants
With the advent of technology, dentistry has reached a different level of minimally invasive treatments for dental and oral health. Dental implants are an integral part of the advanced reconstructive treatments for missing teeth. There is a broad range of dental implants available which provide a beautiful smile makeover.
As per the American Dental Association, there are two types of safe dental implants that include – Endosteal implants and Subperiosteal implants.
- Endosteal Implants – This type of dental implant is surgically implanted into the jawbone directly. Once the gum tissue surrounding the implant is healed, a second surgery is performed to connect a post to the implant. At last, an artificial tooth will be placed on it.
- Subperiosteal Implants – This type of dental implants contains a metal frame which will be fixed onto the jawbone, just below the gum tissue. As soon as the gums heal, the frame will get fixed into the jawbone. Posts attached to the frame will protrude through the gums.
How Much Time Does It Take for Implant?
Usually, it takes about 1 week for placing the dental implant. However, if you are getting multiple implants then the surgery might take a bit longer. One of the dental implants are placed or once the treatment is completed, it usually takes 4 – 6 months for healing.
What is the Approximate Recovery Time?
The pain, swelling or any other discomfort will be reduced within a week. The doctor will probably prescribe some medicines for the same. However, it usually takes 4 – 6 months for the gums to completely heal.
How Much Does it Cost for Dental Implants?
Well, this depends on the type of dental implant and no of implants. So, it is better to consult a dentist for a complete analysis to get approximate cost. Usually, Dental Implants Cost range from 30,000 to 1 lakh depending on the requirement.
How Long Does a Dental Implant Last?
Dental implants are specially designed to last long – which is usually 25 years. This is the reason they are considered to be a permanent teeth replacement solution. Whereas other dental implants usually only last for 5 years to a maximum of 15 years.
Other Types of Tooth Restoration Treatments
If you are not comfortable for undergoing dental implants then there are few alternatives as well. We have mentioned them below…
1. Tooth-Supported Fixed Bridge
This is the most common alternative to dental implants. This is suitable only if a single tooth. Fixed bridge uses the help of adjacent teeth for support. As this bridge will not stimulate any natural bone growth, the bone will deteriorate in some time. They usually last for 5 years. As it is difficult to floss around them, the root surfaces below and around the bridgework are more prone to decay.
Dentures don’t require grinding adjacent teeth or invasive surgery for fixing them. This type of dental restoration is less expensive. They are not comfortable and stable as dental implants. And moreover, they can affect your speech and eating habits as well. Bone present under the denture may deteriorate over time which can affect the face and smile over time. There are two types of dentures – partial and complete dentures. Partial dentures are suitable for single or few teeth. They take the support of adjacent teeth to fit in. Whereas complete dentures are suitable to complete teeth restoration. They will be placed on the gums for support.
3. Resin-Bonded Bridge
This type of dental restoration is suitable for replacing front teeth so that they don’t endure the chewing and biting ability of molars (back teeth). A resin-bonded bridge is better than removable denture in terms of feel and functionality. However, it doesn’t last as long as dental implants.
Tips and Precautions to be taken for Successful Implants:
In most of the cases, dental implants are successful. However, by following certain guidelines you can make you the implants last for a longer period of time.
- Oral Hygiene – It is very important to brush and floss twice in a day. Make sure to brush between the teeth using interdental brushes as they are capable of reaching even the difficult areas around the implant.
- Avoid Chewing Hard Foods – Though dental implants look and feel like natural teeth, they can get damaged if you chew hard foods like candy or ice. Because these hard foods can break the crown placed on the implant or natural teeth.
- Avoid Smoking – It is a known truth that smoking can damage the teeth color and weaken the bone structure. These issues can lead to dental implant failure.
- Consult your Dentist – It is very important to visit your dentist once every six months for cleaning. This ensures that the implant stays in good condition.
Dental Tourism Hyderabad
India has been one of the best ones in terms of dental tourism and healthcare industry. Among all the states, Hyderabad has been increasingly emerging as one of the top-notch destinations for almost all the dental procedures.
Every year, thousands of people across the Middle East, Europe, USA, and other areas travel to Hyderabad. When compared to other countries, dental care at Hyderabad is 10 times much lesser. There are several other advantages as well of getting treated in India that include – can be availed while on a business/holiday trip, internationally accredited dental facilities, highly qualified dentists and surgeons.
And finally, here are some facts about Hyderabad…
It has an amazing history, tradition, and culture of 400 years. It is a hub of many leading pharmaceutical corporations, international IT companies, institutes, and laboratories. It has the world’s one of the best International Airports in the world with the good connectivity of international and domestic flights.
Are Dental Implants Covered by Insurance?
This is a bit tricky to answer as it depends on the insurance plan or premium you have selected. In most of the cases, a dental or medical insurance may cover the majority of the cost if tooth extraction is considered necessary for the patient’s oral health. However, insurance will not cover bone grafts and placement of implants because they are viewed as a cosmetic improvement rather than medical necessity. It the tooth loss is occurred due to any health condition or traumatic accident then insurance may pay for restorative dentistry services. However, the coverage actually depends on the policy you have taken.
About the Clinic:
GA Dental Clinics is one of the most trusted dental implant centers in Hyderabad. With cutting edge technology, highly advanced equipment, and experienced dental surgeons, GA Dental Clinics has been delivering quality and affordable dental services in Hyderabad.
The chairman, Dr. Gowtham is a lifetime member of Indian Endodontics Society, Indian Dental Association and Indian Society of Oral Implantologists. He and his team of highly skilled experts have completed more than 3000 dental implants successfully. As Dr. Gowtham is an International Dental patient coordinator, he receives patients across the world including USA, Africa, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, and several other countries.