Cancer or cancerous cell can grow and damage anything, anywhere in the body. Even, the mouth. Oral cancer has been a predominant type of cancer since a very long time now. The number of cases has increased and to some extent, people are more aware of it than they were before.
By definition, a cancer is defined as a growth of cells, uncontrollable in nature which invades and eventually damages the surrounding tissues in the body.
Oral cancer includes cancer in most parts of the mouth such as lips, tongue, cheeks, sinus, throat and also the hard and soft palate.
Like any type of cancer, if there is a growth or sore in the mouth and the person does not pay immediate attention to it, it can get life-threatening and may also result in death.
Symptoms of Oral Cancer:
The symptoms of oral cancer are many. It is very important to identify and understand any kind of the following symptoms. Once the symptoms are identified, immediate consultation with a reputed ENT surgeon.
Some of the symptoms of oral cancer are:
- Lumps, bumps, swelling, rough spots or crusts area on the lips, gums or any other areas in the mouth.
- Another symptom is the development of white, velvety, red patches in the mouth.
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth.
- Numbness, loss of feeling, pain in the area of the face, mouth or neck which is unexplained in nature.
- Sores in the mouth which are continuous and existing even after two weeks.
- When a person has difficulty in chewing, swallowing, speaking or even moving the jaw to a great extent.
- Hoarseness in a voice and chronic sore throat.
- Pain in the ear.
- Weight loss to a great extent.
The Causes of Oral Cancer:
Most of us know the main causes of oral cancer but none of us seem to care for the repercussions and hence do not pay much heed to anything. We as people have taken our body for granted and made sure that we harm our body to great extents but still expect our body to be healthy.
According to recent findings and research, men face twice the risk of developing oral cancer than women.
Hence, again, just for everyone’s information, these are the causes of Oral Cancer:
- Smoking: People who smoke cigarettes, cigars or even pipes are six times more likely to develop oral cancer when compared to non-smokers.
- Smokeless Tobacco users: People who chew, sniff raw tobacco raw or even mix it up, for instance, are at 50 times greater risk of developing oral cancer.
- Excessive Alcohol Consumption: People who drink alcohol excessively are at a higher risk than people who do not.
- Family History of cancer
- Excessive exposure to the sun from a young age.
Another important point to be noted is that according to research it has been seen that over 25 percent of all oral cancer occurs in people who do not smoke and who drink alcohol occasionally.
Even though the outbreak of oral cancer had happened many years back, people still continue the trend of using products which are some of the main causes of oral cancer. The results of oral cancer are disastrous in nature. People cannot eat, speak or swallow. Some of the most basic daily functions of human beings come to a halt. It is high time that people take their health on a more serious note and not take it for granted.
About Dr. Gowtham Kattamuri
Dr. Gowtham has done his BDS from Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences in 2006 and MDS – Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics from Dr. MGR Medical University in 2010. He is a skilled Endodontist with an experience of over 10 years. Dr. Gowtham is specialized in replacement of teeth, Dental Implants, prosthetics for maxillofacial defects such as artificial eye, ear, nose, and orbital defects, Smile Makeovers with laminates, Zirconia, veneers metal free ceramics. He also performs general dental procedures such as restorations and extractions. He also is trained as an International Patient Coordinator.
ABOUT THE CLINIC:
GA Dental Clinics is a standout amongst all the famous dental hospitals in Hyderabad, owing to the world-class infrastructure it has, and the utility of leading-edge technology at the clinic. Besides its unique infrastructure and highly qualified specialists, GA Dental believes in delivering services at par with global standards.